Is BigBlueButton Free? What is the minimum requirement for the bandwidth of a BigBlueButton User? Does BigBlueButton support 1080P video? If you are investigating the BigBlueButton solution, you might have some questions like those.
Here we listed 17 frequently asked questions about BigBlueButton. Hopefully, it can be useful and convenient for you to find the answer.
1 Is BigBlueButton Free?
- BigBlueButton is open-source software, meaning it is free for both personal and commercial use. However, You need to install the software on an Ubuntu Linux server, and its installation and ongoing maintenance require a strong working knowledge of this operating system. If you can and are happy to do it, it is free, but you will still need to hire a server.
2 What do the concurrent users mean for BigBlueButton?
- It means online BigBlueButton users at the same time. For example, if you have one meeting session running with one Moderator and five attendees, then the concurrent user is 6.
3 What is the user role in BigBlueButton Meeting?
- BigBlueButton mainly has two roles. Moderator and Attendee
- Moderators can refer to the host, teacher, instructor, or someone who needs to control the meeting event and do more interaction tools.
- Attendees refer to viewers, students, or someone who needs to join the meeting event and have less control of the meetings and mainly need to follow the Moderator's instruction.
4 Can I have more than one Moderator in one meeting?
- Yes, for BigBlueButton meetings, all users can be joined as Moderator, and all users can participate as an attendee. But we recommend you only give the moderator role to the teacher or meeting host since the Moderator has full control of the meeting and may mistakenly end the session.
5 Can I have more than one session running at the same time?
- Yes, BigBlueButton is different from other Online meeting software. You can run multiple sessions simultaneously as long as your server has enough capacity. If you have service with BigBlueButton Commercial Service Provider, you need to have enough concurrent users capacity.
6 What browser should I use to get the best performance?
- Desktop/Laptop: Chrome, Firefox, or Edge (latest versions)
- Mobile iOS (12.2+): Safari Mobile
- Mobile Android (6.0+): Chrome Mobile
Note: IE and legacy EDGE browsers are not supported.
7 What is the minimum requirement for the bandwidth of a BigBlueButton User?
- For viewers (students), we recommend users have (at least) 0.5 Mbits/sec – which is 500 Kbits/sec – upstream bandwidth, and (at least) 1 Mbits/sec download bandwidth. These are not hard and fast numbers, as it depends on the activity of the viewer. If the viewer is not broadcasting any webcam, the amount of upstream bandwidth used would be less than 0.5 Mbits/sec.
- For presenters, we recommend as much upstream bandwidth as possible. For example, if the presenter shares their desktop, then BigBlueButton's desktop sharing will attempt to publish their desktop updates as quickly as possible to the server.
8 Can I use mobile for BigBlueButton?
- Yes, BigBlueButton is entirely browser-based software.
- No need to download and install any apps on your mobile. Just use the browser to visit the link.
9 What are the minimum requirements for mobile devices to use BigBlueButton?
- BigBlueButton runs within your mobile browser. BigBlueButton runs on iOS version 12.2+ and Android version 6.0+.
10 Does BigBlueButton support 1080P video?
- Yes, BigBlueButton support 1080P video.
11 Does BigBlueButton support stereo audio?
- Yes, BigBlueButton support stereo audio. You need to follow some instructions to configure the settings on the server.
12 Does BigBlueButton support the breakout room?
- Yes, BigBlueButton has this feature supported.
13 Does BigBlueButton support close captions?
- Yes, you need to follow some instructions to activate this feature on your server.
14 What is the maximum size of the uploaded presentation file?
- Maximum 30 MB,200 pages.
- If your file size has crossed that limits, you need to split your file into several smaller-sized files.
15 Can I upload the PPT file as a presentation file?
- Yes, you can upload Office documents ( .doc .docx .pptx), text documents (.txt), images (.png ,.jpg) and Adobe Acrobat documents (.pdf); we recommend converting documents to .pdf prior to uploading for best results.
16 Do those animation/transition effects on PPT still work on BigBlueButton?
- No, it will not work. When you upload PPT slides, they get converted to PPT(X) -> PDF -> SVG, so all animations get flattened into a single slide. If you need those effects, we recommend sharing the screen.
17 What happens if there is no available plugin for my LMS?
- You can work with BigBlueButton API to integrate with your own LMS. You can read this blog for more information. A Collection of BigBlueButton API Development Document and Library Samples
If you can not find the answers, please contact us via the support channel, and our support team is happy to assist you. Contact Us